The iPhone and Android have been out for ages, and I've meant to put together apps (even going as far as getting a Mac to do the development work for iOS, but haven't up to now had the time or a decent project to undertake.
I use both windows and linux for hosting, but have concentrated over recent years in gaining more knowledge using Linux servers.
Recently I've had cause to swap back and forth between the two more than usual and as such a problem has cropped up when using the command line in windows - the lack of the ls command. I can't count the number of times I've entered ls (the linux command for listing a directory contents - or the one that I use) into a windows command prompt only to have an unrecognised command reply.
I'm currently working on some calendaring functionality in a project using Python / Django. I needed to find away of easily (and cleanly) getting a list of all months for the next 12 months as i wanted to use this in a drop down list.
After a bit of googling and playing I came across the python-dateutil library. After a couple of bumps to get the module installed (for some reason easy_install installs the latest version for Python 3) I managed to get the function written and it is shown below:
from datetime import * from dateutil.rrule import *
Just putting the finishing touches to the first site I am converting from ASP.NET to open source, this time to the Wordpress blogging platform.
This conversion, which forms part of my move away from ASP.NET has gone very well. Wordpress is an impressive bit of software and its been alot easier to get my head round than I expected. Theming has always been on the to-do list to learn, but now I've carried out 2 theme builds I now know its actually not that daunting.
Just finished coding a quick JQuery plugin to download and display an RSS feed in an HTML unordered list.
The plugin has a proxy PHP script that downloads the RSS using CURL to ensure that the plugin can access both local and remote RSS feeds (overcoming the cross-site issues).
There are 2 parameters to the plugin, url and max, the url parameter controls the URL that is downloaded, the max is the maximum number of rss feed items you wish to display.
To further my Codeigniter knowledge and to help to speed up my development using the framework I've decided to build some functionality that is used heavily on most data driven websites (within the admin at least) but is not included directly within the base framework...a system for easy CRUD.
I recently was asked to put together a PHP application for a company using pure PHP. Usually I would use something like Codeigniter or some other framework, but on this occasion I took the opportunity to finish off some code I had previously written for my own very basic MVC framework.
Over the last couple of days i've been working on something that may lead to greater things workwise. Today was the day in which this project was due to complete, but disaster struck between 1am and 7am this morning when my Plusnet broadband went down.
So whilst learning the ropes with the Codeigniter framework in the last 6 months or so I put together a very basic system to display points on a google map. The point of this system was so I got my head around how Codeigniter does MVC and to build my confidence in it as the basis for ongoing PHP development work.
Been finding that the sites on my Django based servers have been starting to slow down a bit on first load of the page, not a good idea for this to be the case, certainly not with Google and other search engines taking load times into account when ranking so I've just setup Django to cache each page and it seems to be alot quicker.
To be precise I've setup Django to cache each page of the site to a database by:
<strong>1 Created a caching table using the command...</strong>
python manage.py createcachetable [cache_table_name]